It can be hard to understand the differences between FMLA and Short Term Disability as they do have some similarities, but here is a more elaborative explanation. If you are injured on the job, it is important to know what each insurance type will mean to you and your family.

Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) is for job-security policy. If an employer maintains 50 employees or more, they have the right to these benefits.If are injured on the job, adopted a child, gave birth, or if you are caring for a family member that is disabled. You get 12 full weeks of unpaid work, which means leave from the job. These 12 weeks can be used all at once, or split up with the right medical information. If you are planning to use FMLA, you must be employed through that company at least 12 months, and worked at least 1,250 hours during the time of working there.

If you are concerned about not getting a pay check that is suppose to come in or need to get paid when your time off due to an injury? STD (Short Term Disability) is the best option for you. This is not a Federal requirement, but if you are working in a high-risk job this may be something you need. Planning to purchase a Short Term Disability it will reimburse you for the partial or full amount of income.

For more information about which plan is best for you contact Brazelton Insurance Group.