As the holiday season approaches, brand new presents excite burglars just as much as your kids. The average amount of property stolen in a home burglary is $2,119, that’s a holiday expense you shouldn’t have to pay.
Be smart this holiday season and protect your home. Follow these simple tips that are specially designed to prevent Grinch visits and on making claims:
- Don’t advertise your holiday plans on Facebook or any other social media sites, especially any periods of time you may be out of the house!
- Most burglaries occur when daytime routines return to normal.
- Use classic “burglar prevention” techniques: light timers, holding subscriptions and mail, etc.
- Your family may not see the gifts you sneak into the house, but burglars might. Bring gifts home disguised and after dark.
- Don’t pile empty boxes on trash day. It is way too obvious.
- After a burglary, the chances of being burglarized again increase. Burglars know you’ll replace stolen items and have learned your home inside and out.
It is not a settling thought to know that only 21% of stolen property is recovered. Preparing yourself with insurance is the best way of compensating for a loss.
When choosing coverage and making claims, remember:
- Avoid Actual Cash Value (ACV) coverage. With ACV you will not receive the full value of all items stolen item. Replacement cost coverage does not consider depreciation. This means if someone steals your TV set, with replacement cost coverage, you would receive a TV set of like value.
- More often then not, you’ll need proof that you owed the items claimed stolen. Anything from a receipt, video, picture, or model number will do.
- Premiums increase after claims, especially with thefts. If policyholders become categorized as ‘high risk,’ insurers can cancel or not renew policies after theft or fire claims.
More than anything, try your best to prevent thefts. You will be protecting you and your family from potential emotional and financial costs.
Brazelton Insurance Group is here to help you with any concerns you may have. We will help you avoid any Grinch that plans on ruining your holidy season.